Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Day 25: Affirmations to combat Impostor Syndrome


By happy with what you have
while working for what you want.
~ Helen Keller

Perfectionism sets up so many dichotomies.

We strive for excellence, but we are not happy with anything less than perfect.

We long for happiness, but we are never content with our current situation. We know there is always need for improvement.

I recently wrote a blog post about Shades of Gray: the idea of incorporating and into my vocabulary instead of adhering to an either/or mentality. I truly hope to ingrain this idea into my everyday way of thinking.

The truth of the matter is... I know I am blessed. I know I have much to be thankful for - and I am truly grateful.

The problem is... I don't think I deserve it. I am content but I don't think I have earned the privilege of being content. Another one of Delilah's lies.

If I desire lasting joy, I must look within. And I must realize a fundamental truth: Happiness is fleeting. It is contingent upon outside circumstances such as power, finances, and popularity, which are here one day and gone the next.

It is impossible to find contentment unless we accept ourselves. We must believe we are worthy, follow our life's purpose, and see ourselves as good enough. Only then can we begin to experience real joy.

I am determined to be content... no matter the circumstances. Is there really any other way to live?

... I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.
I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.
I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation,
whether well-fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.
Philippians 4:11-12 (NIV)


SaveSaveSaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails